diary of a manic obsessive.

7.01.2009

Wordy Wednesday: Dr. Seuss

In my ever growing quest for structure, I've come up with these weekly concepts for mini entries every week day. On that note...

I've always been relatively proud of my generous vocabulary, but sometimes, I feel that one needs the credibility of an ex-President, a Philosopher, or even the occasional Pauly Shore to get your point across.

Hence the birth of Wordy Wednesdays.

This will be my weekly dive into greater minds than mine and splatter them all over the page. Since it is MY blog & I'm not the biggest fan of rules, I will keep it loose. Sometimes it may be a quote, sometimes a passage, maybe even an entire song. I hope no one is overwhelmed if i get a little "slap happy" & add one of each, or THREE!

Who better to start my Wordy Wednesdays with than, in my eyes, the Doctah of the written word... No, not Mark Twain... not James Joyce... not even Biggie Smalls...

Dr. Seuss


I know, right?

"Today you are YOU, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is YOU-ER than you."

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"

"How did it get so late so soon? Its night before its afternoon. December is here before its June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?"

and finally...

“Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”

I recently went to my little sisters high school graduation (gasp! feeling... so... old...) & I realized that every graduation quotes at LEAST one Dr.Seuss tid bit of advice. Normally, this would annoy me and replicate nails on a chalkboard (much like how i feel myself slipping deeper into insanity when i hear speeches start by addressing every possible type of person at the event - "Good Morning teachers, staff, graduates, mothers, fathers, sisters, brother, grandmothers, grandfathers, janitors, flys on the wall..." UGH) but I feel that the use of Seuss-isms are so relevant, that i'd probably be angrier if i didn't hear them at important life events. "Oh, the Places You'll Go" is given to everyone on Graduation because it's relevant. I, on the other hand, did NOT receive a copy of the classic tale, but I know people who did (including Ephram Brown on Everwood... tear jerk!).

Dr.Seuss's amazing ability to prove that "a person's a person, no matter how small" lifts the spirit of any sad Who, even if their Christmas was stollen.


FUN FACT! Dr. Seuss's the Cat in the Hat movie (2003) is definitely a fun watch when you're half alive on pain killers (prescribed only!). It was def one of my favourite watches while bored out of my pained skull after having the 'ole wisdom teeth out.


So, today we sing "Dah who dor-aze!". Today, we celebrate you, Dr. Seuss, not only for your iconic hat, colourful new breakfast, or the invention of Things 1 & 2, but for your wisdom, your laughter and your wordies!

luvs it*

6 comments:

  1. love the quotessss :) and great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey spanky, you have a new follower! Any dr seuss gets me out of a crappy mood, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe you threw out a Everwood reference. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea :D

    Thank you for leaving a comment! Made my day, seriously..

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I love love love Dr Seuss! A friend of mine gave me a crazy look when I said Dr Seuss is like, the patron saint of the written word...so I'm not crazy after all. I just love all those quotes. LOL about the green ham. Ok, now I'm gonna stop gushing. Love your blog!

    xoxo
    Cesc
    www.planetcesc.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi hi hi :) Thanks for the lovely comments, you are now officially my favourite. And it's so nice to get a comment like that, then not have to lie to return the favoour - I've loved what I've read of your stuff so far too! Yay!
    Thanks for the book suggestion, I will remember that. Love getting recommendations.
    I will absolutely write more about my time in Ireland, I can't stop banging on about it to anyone who will listen (or read, as the case may be).

    Am loving the Dr Seuss. I need to embrace my inner child and re-read these classics. It's been a while.

    So yah, looking forward to reading more of your stuff!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

who luvs me?

Related Posts with Thumbnails