diary of a manic obsessive.

3.01.2010

liminality: Alive in Wonderland

i don't know if any of you saw, but i had the chance to write a guest post on Diamond in the Rough. The Assignment was to write about Liminality, & [after looking up the definition], i was happy to oblige, and excited to get started. There's also a "Gather Round & Meet..." about me & the bliggity.
[please make sure to check out Diamond in the Rough!]

Liminality: Alive in Wonderland
 
I’m a space cadet that over thinks everything. I’m a completely over-analytical flake, a slob with OCD, a fantasy obsessed realist. My brain is constructed with Organized Chaos.
I have a pretty broad vocabulary, but I hadn’t heard the word liminality until now.
I’m reminded of a the movie “Phoebe in Wonderland”, about a young girl (Elle Fanning) who lives between two worlds. Similar to Alice in Wonderland, but instead of falling down a Rabbit Hole and having a whirlwind adventure, only to visit again through a Looking Glass, Phoebe continuously lives in the “in-between”.
I often feel that this is how I live my life. This may be the reason I insist on making lists, charts, calendars, organized piles with distinction, reminders telling me not to forget to do something important, with another reminder telling me not to dismiss the previous, until it’s complete.
How many moments, adding up to hours, days, do I spend trying to find the answer?
There is no up, no down, only in between. I work to get the first thing done, but before I can even get the materials out to do so, my mind has wandered, hop, skip & jump, three things past & I must sit & scramble to put the pieces together to find where I’m at.
It makes it very difficult to get much done.
Structure, purpose, goals, ideals, deadlines, assignments, distractions, imagination, self destruction, excuses, shame, exhaustion…

Your browser may not support display of this image.
Like Alice, I beg for a world that isn’t the way this one is. I would love to live among Flowers that sang to me, bread & butterflies, tea parties with no reason, but plenty of rhymes, but again, I know, much like she eventually did, I’d beg for normalcy, structure and sense.
Beg for my feet to land, lightly on the ground, right side up at the bottom of the Rabbit hole, with a way to reach the top again, or the sense to look up, toward the light of reality.
 
“Alice, wake up! Please wake up Alice!”

Liminality, to me, shows that great space between; the cognitive limbo, my impervious purgatory, the incredible heaven/ hell concubinage, resistance to reality, acceptance of fantasy, allowance of uncertainty.

    “If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn’t. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn’t be. And what it wouldn’t be, it would. You see?”
    i hope you all enjoyed!

4 comments:

  1. Maybe that is why we get along aside form all else, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool, congrats. you are a great writer...im sorta jealous, in a good way of course.

    http://www.intotheninth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I used to have that same bed that's in the image with the quote from Hamlet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was a great post I loves it :)

    ReplyDelete

who luvs me?

Related Posts with Thumbnails